Hide menu

Frequently asked questions

Under this section we have gathered some of the most common questions that are asked when new international students come to LiU. 


Activating your LiU-ID and collecting your LiU-card from Info Centre is important for getting started. Your LiU-card can be used for:

  • Accessing the campus library services and campus premises after office hours
  • Free travelling on the Campus bus
  • Copying and printing

Accessing the university’s facilities

Which of the university’s facilities you can enter depends on the faculty you belong to. For access you are required to set your personal PIN code; follow the instructions provided with your LiU-card.

Premises on campus

All students who have signed the agreement of rules for use of computer, network and system facilities at Linköping University are allowed to book a room on campus for group work or self-studies. In addition to these, there are Andrum (Rooms for reflection) on each campus. Andrum is for the use of those seeking tranquility, silence, reflection, prayer or meditation. You can find Andrum on Campus Valla in B Building, room Odén, entrance 29. On Campus Norrköping in Koppparhammaren 2. On Campus US, you reach the Meditrina Room by South entrance, number 1. 

T- or P-number

A number created by the University for administrative purposes. The P or T-number is only valid at the university. To identify yourself outside of the university, you need to show another ID, such as your passport. •


Mecenat gives student discounts nationwide on various products and services. For more information go the Mecenat webpage

Printing, copying and scanning On campus Valla there is a printing service located in building A, entrance 19C where students can print and copy for a fee. Students can also transfer money with DIBS to their LiU-card and connect it with eduPrint. You will find all the information you need here

Campus bus

During the semester the campus bus runs Monday – Friday between Campus Valla-Campus US-Campus Norrköping. Use your LiU-card as your ticket. You must show your card upon entering the bus. For more details and timetable, see: www.liu.se/campusbussen


If you would like to find course literature, you should make your way to one of our campus libraries. You can also go to the library website see if a particular book is available, order books, arrange to borrow the book from another library and so forth. The Swedish library system can be quite complicated if you are new to it, but do not worry – it’s possible to book a librarian, who can help you find the suitable literature for certain subjects. This is free of charge and applies to all four campus libraries. They can also introduce you to online resources such as Wordfinder.


Your course books can be purchased in one of the bookshops on Campus Valla or in a bookshop in the city (Akademibokhandeln). It is also easy to buy your books online at www.adlibris.se, www.bokus.se or secondhand shops like www.kurslitteratur.se. It is also possible to borrow some of the course literature at the library’s reception desk or read them during the libraries' opening hours. Books that can only be read during opening hours are marked "KursRef" in the libraries' internet catalogue. It is not allowed to take these books out of the library.

Eating on Campus

On campus Valla you have several options for eating lunch or grabbing a coffee. You can find various options on all three campuses hereAs Campus Norrköping is centrally located, there are a number of cafes and restaurants available within walking distance. The most economical option is probably to bring your own lunch. Microwave ovens for heating up your lunch box are available in most buildings.

Lost and found

If you forget or lose something on campus, ask at Info Centre in Studenthuset, Kåkenhuset or Campus US. More information here.

Residence permit

The Migration Agency is the authority that considers applications from people who want to take up permanent residence or who want to study and work in Sweden. Make sure you apply early as the application process can take time. It is recommended to apply online using the Migration Agency website to receive a decision sooner, provided you have submitted all the required documents and paid the applicable fees. More information about permits, visas and application forms can be found at the Swedish Migration Agency.
Read more: Swedish Migration Agency 
Read more: Time to a decision

EU/EEA Citizens

As an EU/EEA citizen, you have the right to study and work in Sweden without a residence permit. The same applies to your family members if they join you. There is no need to register your right of residency in Sweden.
Read more: Work, study, or live in Sweden for EU/EEA citizens

Non-EU/EEA citizens

If you are a citizen of a non EU/EEA country and want to study in Sweden, you need to obtain a study permit for stays longer than 90 days. If you plan to stay less than 90 days read more about entry visa.

If you need a travel visa to enter Sweden and you have received the residence permit decision, it can take an additional four weeks to produce the card. The card contains your photograph and fingerprints, which will be obtained from the embassy or consulate where you applied for your residence permit. You cannot enter the Schengen area without this card.

If you do not need a visa to enter Sweden and you have received the residence permit decision, you should, as soon as possible after your arrival in Sweden visit Migrationsverket, the Swedish Migration Agency to have your picture and fingerprints taken for the permit card. You may also need a transit visa for countries outside the Schengen area on the way to Sweden. It will be sent to your home address in Sweden in approximately one week.
Read more: Residence permit for higher education

Entry visa

A visa is required for students from certain countries. You must have received the decision for the entry visa before entering the Schengen area including Sweden. 
Read more: List of foreign citizens who require a visa for entry into Sweden 
Read more: Visit Sweden for less than 90 days - apply for a visa

Notification of planned mobility studies

If you have been granted a residence permit for studies in higher education in another EU country and are studying in a Union programme or a multilateral programme that includes mobility measures as a mandatory activity within the programme, you do not need to apply for a residence permit in Sweden as well. You must instead notify the Swedish Migration Agency of your planned stay in Sweden.
Read more: Notification of planned mobility studies

Extend residence permit for higher studies

If you have a residence permit and will continue studying after your permit expires, you must apply to extend it before your current permit expires. You must have made acceptable progress in your studies and as long as you hand in your application before your old permit expires you may continue your studies. If you travel abroad before you have had your new permit granted, it may be difficult for you to get back into Sweden.
Read more: Extend residence permit for higher education

Residence permit for looking for work after studies

If you have a residence permit for studies in higher education in Sweden and have completed your studies, you can apply for a residence permit for 12 months to seek employment or explore the possibilities of starting your own business here. Apply before your current permit expires.
Read more: Looking for work after studies

Swedish population register

When registered with the Swedish Migration Agency, or when you have a residence permit valid for a year or longer, you are generally required to be registered in the Swedish population register. When you have been registered you will be given a Swedish personal identity number. To be registered in the Swedish population register you need to notify the Swedish Tax Agency that you have moved to Sweden. This can be done by visiting one of their Service offices.

Read more: Service office in Linköping (only in Swedish)

Read more: Service office in Norrköping (only in Swedish)

Prepare for your visit at the service office

To ensure that your visit to the service office goes as quickly and as smoothly as possible, you should use the Moving to Sweden service before your visit.
On the Moving to Sweden service, you need to go through several steps, and you will get information about all the required documents you need to bring to the office depending on your citizenship or if you move with or move in with a family member.
When you are registered in the Swedish population register you will receive a Swedish personal identity number, personnummer.
Read more: Moving to Sweden service

ID card

It is recommended that you apply for an ID card when you received your personal identity number. The ID card can be used to identify yourself and to receive medical care. The ID card is issued by Skatteverket, the Swedish Tax Agency, and you apply at the service office.
Read more: The Swedish Tax Agency - book a meeting online


If you only plan to stay in Sweden for a few months Swedish banks may be hesitant to open a bank account. It might be easier to use your bank account from your home country or a neobank account and preferably a Visa or Mastercard. The Swedish currency is called SEK and Sweden is mostly a cash-less society. Please be aware that many banks in Sweden no longer handle cash. However, you still have the option to withdraw cash in ATM's.

If you are staying for a longer period, you will have the option to create a Swedish bank account. More information is available under the heading "Banks and how to pay your bills". If you will stay for a longer period, you are legally allowed to open a bank account in Sweden. Banks cannot demand that you have a Swedish personal identity number or a coordination number to open a bank account. You can choose between online- and physical banks, and bear in mind that customers without personal identity number banks offer an account with limited features such as:

• Bank account

• Online banking with payment service

• Electronic bank card

Due to strict regulations, it can take some effort to open a bank account in Sweden. You should make sure you bring an international bank card to be able to cover your expenses. Banks are by law required to check identities of customers and must make sure there is no suspicion of money laundering, bribery, or other financial crimes. The bank will ask many questions to find out if you are a secure customer. Some questions might seem unnecessary and private, but it is very important that you answer all questions truthfully.

Each Swedish bank set their own routines and rules for opening an account and prepare by reading on their webpage what to documents they request. To open an account, you normally need:

• A valid passport

• Acceptance letter or certificate of studies and documents must contain information about intended stay.

• Your Swedish residence permits.

• Proof of residence such as a rental agreement, electric bill, or a C/O address.

If you plan to stay longer than a year and you want access to features such as BankID makes it possible for you to sign transactions, documents digitally instead of signing and sending documents. Your personal identity number and Swedish ID must be ready before you can apply for a full account. You organise this in person at a bank branch, since 1st October 2021 it is no longer possible to apply for a BankID at an online bank with a non-national ID or passport.

Banks with branch offices in Linköping and Norrköping:

Danske bank (only in Swedish) 



SEB (only in Swedish)


Länsförsäkringar bank Östgöta

If the bank denies you to hand in an application or open a bank account

If a bank refuses you to hand in an application because you do not have a personal identity number or coordination number or denies you a bank account, contact the complaints department of the bank. It is within your rights to have the refusal reassessed. You should receive written information about where you can file a complaint and how you can get it legally evaluated by the National Board of Consumer Complaints.
Read more: National Board for Con­sumer Disputes (ARN)

Leaving Sweden

Before you leave Sweden, remember to cancel your bank account. Contact your bank to make an agreement about the closing date and to plan the final transactions. Banks are not allowed to close bank accounts with money and want to avoid small amounts of money left on your account. It might also be difficult to get access to the money if you do not have Bank-ID and cannot visit the bank in person.

Paying your bills

Rent in Sweden is usually paid once a month, in advance for the month to come. If you pay your invoices by an international transaction, make sure to add about a week for the payment to come through. It is important to pay your rent on time to fulfil your part of the contract. If you have a Swedish bank account, you can pay your bills via internet banking or mobile apps. If you want to pay your bill with a credit card you can for a fee do this at a Kassagirot agent:

Read more: Kassagirot (only in Swedish)


Upon arrival you will receive a top-up SIM card from the International Office. The SIM card can easily be topped up in Pressbyrån and supermarkets.
Calling in Sweden: When making local calls from a mobile phone, you must dial the area code followed by the phone number. When making an international call, you dial + [your country’s national code]. If people want to call you from abroad, the country code for Sweden is +46. 

Swedish supermarkets and other useful stores

It is not easy to go shopping in a foreign country. Both Linköping and Norrköping have several grocery stores available to choose from. Use a search engine to find the one closest to you. Both cities also have international grocery stores that are focused on food from different parts of the world.

Second hand shops

In Sweden it is very popular to shop secondhand both for your home and your wardrobe. It is cheap and you can get real bargains on dishware and furniture. You can find many useful things at LiU Student Secondhand.
Use a search engine to find a second hand shop close to you.

Health and medical services

There are local health care centres, vårdcentral in Linköping and Norrköping where you book a non-emergency appointment if you need to see a doctor. 
Read more: Find your local health care or hospital 

Medical Information Services: dial 1177

For the Medical Information Service, Sjukvårdsrådgivningen the number to dial is 1177. This is a 24-hour provider of free health care information and consultation with a registered nurse.

Read more: 1177 website

In case of emergency: dial 112

The emergency number for ambulance, police and rescue and fire brigade is 112. You will be asked to explain what has happened and to state your location. You can also download the app SOS Alarm. This number is only used for emergencies, if not dial 1177 or call your nearest health care center, Vårdcentral.


Non-prescription medicines such as aspirin and cough syrup are sold at pharmacies, supermarkets, grocery stores and petrol stations. Prescription medicines can only be obtained from a pharmacy, Apotek.


All medical districts have a dental service, Folktandvården are usually located in the same area as health care centres. There are also a wide range of private dentists you can choose if you need to.
Read more: Folktandvården website


Exchange and fee-paying programme students at LiU have insurance through the university. Health care in Sweden can be costly if you are not covered by a health insurance. Check with your home social security or insurance company about your own situation before you leave. It is recommended that international students intending to stay for a longer period read the terms and conditions below and make sure the insurance cover is sufficient, especially for travel and health care.

For fee-paying programme students:
Terms and conditions - FAS+ insurance

For exchange students:
Terms and conditions - Student IN insurance

Social insurance

To read more about social insurance in Sweden, please download information from Försäkringskassan, the Swedish Social Insurance Agency or read more on 1177 Vårdguiden

Read more: Moving to Sweden 
Read more: 1177 Vårdguiden

EU citizens

To receive health care, you need to obtain a European Health Insurance Card from your home country. You need to bring the card with you when seeking medical attention in Sweden to show that you are covered by a health insurance, otherwise you will have to cover the costs yourself.

Entitlement to the Swedish social security system, varies but to receive benefits, you need to have a coordination number or a Swedish personal identity number and be registered at Försäkringskassan.
Read more: European Health Insurance Card
Read more: Personal identity number and coordination number

Non-EU citizens

Staying less than one year

If your residence permit is for less than one year, you will not obtain a Swedish personal identity number, but instead you can apply for a coordination number. 

Since you are not eligible for Swedish health care benefits, you must plan for health insurance coverage for your stay in Sweden before you arrive. Linköping University has an insurance which may cover you for emergency care.
Read more: Coordination number

Staying one year or longer

If you have a residence permit for a year or more, you are eligible for health care benefits. However, you need to register at the Swedish Tax Agency, Skatteverket. Find out more about what applies to individuals who are moving to Sweden
Read more: Swedish Tax Agency - Moving to Sweden
Read more: Moving, working, studying or newly arrived in Sweden

Residence permits for family members

The first thing to check is if a residence permit is needed. EU citizens are free to enter Sweden and can stay here and look for a job or study. If the stay is planned to be longer than one year a Swedish personal identity number is needed.

For non-EU members, some citizenships will need a permit to enter Sweden. If the stay is longer than three months a residence permit is required.
Read more: Migration Agency - Permits for family members

Accompanying children

Children can attend childcare from the age of one. School is compulsory from the age of six in Sweden. You need to contact the municipality of Linköping or Norrköping upon arrival to enrol the children in childcare or schooling.
Read more: Swedish school system - Linköping
Read more: Swedish school system - Norrköping

LiU Student Health Care Centre

The LiU Student Health Care Centre offers advice and support when you have physical or mental health problems related to your studies. The service is free of charge and confidential. The aim of the Student Health is to prevent disease and promote health, give health related advice, offer conversational therapy, aid in times of crisis and work with the students in their own social environment (in-house social worker). You need to book an appointment in advance. 
Read more: LiU Student Health Care Centre

ICE contact

In Case of Emergency (ICE) is an internationally accepted way to find the closest contact person to the victim in an emergency situation. Therefore, it is important you have all emergency contacts in your mobile phone under the name ICE.


Page manager: international.student@liu.se
Last updated: 2022-03-17