Hide menu

General Information

All the decisions made by Migration Board are individual. This means each person receives a unique case that is assessed separately by an administrator at the Migration Board.

Th legal grounds for the decision are the so called Swedish Aliens Act and Aliens Ordinance.

We strongly encourage you to use electronic application:

  • fewer spelling mistakes
  • shorter processing times
  • decisions taken by study permits specialists in Sweden (while embassies handle all types of residence permits) --> correct permit times, as opposed to embassies that sometimes issue too short permits
  • no extra requirements, such as address in Sweden

If you have been admitted to a two-year programme, state this in your application. The validity of your residence permit should extend until September. If you get a residence permit for a shorter time than a year (until June or July), you will not be able to register in the Swedish population database and receive civic registration number, personnummer, which is necessary for many services in Sweden.

Extension of residence permit for year 2

Make sure to apply for an extension before your the current permit expires.

Read more about which documents are required for the extension.


Residence permit to seek employment after completed studies

If you have a Residence permit for studies and have completed your studies you can get a Residence permit to seek employment or examine the possibilities of starting your own business here in Sweden.

You need to have completed your studies and submit a temporary certificate proving you are to receive an actual degree certificate to your application. You also need to submit your application while you are still in Sweden. Find out more details about the application requirements here.


Read more about temporary degree certificates on the webpages LIU Students Academic degrees.





Page manager: admitted@liu.se
Last updated: 2018-08-20