Forticlient VPN – Student VPN
Only the services Thinlinc, RDP and licence servers (to install software with licence) can be reached via VPN. Make sure to have two-step verification activated on your account.
The software Forticlient can be downloaded from Fortinet’s official website. It’s available for the major operating systems: Windows, Mac OS, Linux, iOS and Android. The LiU VPN for students requires Forticlient version 6.4.9. or newer.
This VPN solution uses a so-called “split-tunnel” and will only manage traffic to internal LiU systems. Other data traffic goes out over the current internet connection you are connected to.
Note! To use this VPN service, you need to have two-factor authentication activated on your LiU account.
Get started with Forticlient VPN
- Install the Forticlient VPN app from the developer Fortinet’s homepage, under the headline Forticlient VPN.
- When the Forticlient app is installed and running: click on Remote access, and then Configure VPN.
- Create an SSL-VPN connection manually with the following settings:
- Enter a name of your choice in the "Connection Name" field.
- “Description” is optional.
- Enter "remote.edu.liu.se" in the "Remote Gateway" field.
- Tick the box "Enable Single sign On (SSO) for VPN Tunnel".
- Click "Save".
- To connect, click "SAML Login" and fill in your LiU ID and password.
Contact and support
You are welcome to contact the IT Helpdesk if you experience IT related problems at LiU and need help.
- Telephone: +46 13-28 28 28
- Contact form and error report
Regular opening hours:
Monday and Thursday 08:00-20:00
Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 08:00-17:00
Find answers in the KNowledge database
Maybe it's possible that you can solve a problem on your own! See guides with answers to common IT questions and problems.
Last updated: 2022-09-23