Hide menu


The Erasmus programme is funded by the European Union and it makes it possible to study with a scholarship at a university in another European country, on the same terms as the domestic students. You can also get a scholarship for practical training in a company or organization in Europe. Read more about the Erasmus scholarships by clicking in the menu to the left.

In the Erasmus Student Charter you can read about your rights and obligations as an Erasmus student.

Brexit and Erasmus+

The European Council agreed on 10 April on a second extension of the deadline for UK leaving the EU. The deadline is now valid until October 31, 2019. It is flexible so that approval of the exit agreement can take place before October 31st. The European Council has also agreed that Britain should organize EU elections in late May. If Britain does not do this, they must leave the EU without a contract on June 1, 2019.

What does this mean for Erasmus + students and trainees depends on how the exit looks and when, which is unclear.

  • Exit with agreement means that the UK will continue to participate in the current Erasmus + program.
  • Exit without agreement means that students and interns who start their mobility before the exit can carry out their mobility as planned. No new Erasmus + mobility can commence after a possible non-contractual exit, unless there are other agreements concerning Erasmus + at that time.

LiU communicates with UK partner universities as well as national agencies in the matter, and we will inform affected students as soon as we have more information.Keep updated on Brexit and Erasmus+ on

Who can participate in Erasmus studies?

As a student in first, second or third-cycle studies, you can study full-time for three to twelve months at another European higher education institute with which your study programme has an agreement. In order to take part in an Erasmus exchange, you must:

  • Be registered at LiU and meet the faculty's entry requirements for studies abroad
  • Be able to gain credit for your study period abroad or receive recognition of your qualification via Diploma Supplement.
  • Take language tests in your intended study language before and after your studies abroad if the European Commission offer you a test before the start of your study period. (No performance requirements, the tests are solely diagnostic.)

Most Erasmus students are registered on courses at the host university but it is also possible to gather empirical data for your essay/thesis without being registered on courses.

You can go abroad more than once as an Erasmus student during your studies. You can get scholarships for studies and/or traineeship for a maximum amount of twelve months per study level, that is to say twelve months each on bachelor, master and doctorate level. You could for example get scholarships for two months of traineeship and ten months of exchange studies during your bachelor and still have the possibility to study abroad with a scholarship for a whole year during your master level.

If you are studying at Linköping University on a Swedish Institute scholarship, please note that the SI scholarship is only valid for studies in Sweden. Shorter study/research visits to, or internships in, other countries may be approved, provided that they form an integral part of the studies performed in Sweden. However, any study abroad must be motivated by the student and supported by the supervisor before approval from the Swedish Institute can be obtained.

You can apply for extra Erasmus+ Grant if...

...you chose to take the train to the study destination

Starting spring 2020, the International Office will introduce a new Travel Grant for Erasmus students who take the train to the study destination. The grant, of 190 EUR, can be used for single train ticket (s) or as part of an interrail pass. Train should be the main mean of travel in order to be eligible for the grant. Proof of travel and a short travel description will be required. Apply on your faculty's Exchange Portal, under uploading documents.

...you study with disabilities

Students with disabilities can apply for extra support for Erasmus studies abroad. Read more about studying abroad with disabilities here. For general information, please see disabilities at LiU.

...you travel with children

Erasmusstudents who will travel with children can make a separate application for a higher scholarship. 
Read more under Erasmus studies or Erasmus placement.

Contact Erasmus+ coordinator Ulrika Åstrand well before the start of your Erasmus exchange.


For general information about Erasmus+ check out the  app Erasmus+ app in your IPhone eller Android.
Erasmus+ App

Page manager: international@medfak.liu.se
Last updated: 2020-01-15