Hide menu


The Erasmus programme is funded by the European Union and it makes it possible to study with a scholarship at a university in another European country, on the same terms as a domestic students. You can also get a scholarship for practical training in a company or organisation in Europe. Read more about the Erasmus scholarships by clicking in the menu to the left.

In the Erasmus Student Charter you can read about your rights and obligations as an Erasmus student.

Distance education or placement and the Erasmus+ Grant

Due to the ongoing pandemic you might follow online courses offered by the partner university or do job tasks for the placement organisation. How does distance education/placement affect the Erasmus+ scholarship?

  • If you follow courses offered by the partner university/perform online job tasks for the host placement organistion online from Sweden or antoher country other than the host country, you will not receive an Erasmus scholarship for those days.
  • If you follow online courses offered by the host university or perform job tasks online for the host placement organisation from the host country (physical mobility) you are entitled to the Erasmus+ scholarship. Note that you will have to prove that you in fact were in the country by, for example, showing flight or train tickets.
  • The total mobility (virtual from Sweden and in the host country) must be at least 60 days for Erasmus placement and at least 90 days for Erasmus studies.

Brexit and Erasmus+

The UK is no longer part of the Erasmus+ programme starting from the new Erasmus programme 2021-27. This means that students going to the UK will not be granted an Erasmus+ grant.

Stay updated via media and news and

Who can participate in Erasmus studies?

As a student in first, second or third-year studies, you can study full-time for three to twelve months at another European higher education institute with which your study programme has an agreement. In order to take part in an Erasmus exchange, you must:

  • Be registered at LiU and meet the faculty's entry requirements for studies abroad
  • Be able to gain credit for your study period abroad or receive recognition of your qualification via Diploma Supplement.
  • Take language tests in your intended study language before and after your studies abroad if the European Commission offer you a test before the start of your study period. (No performance requirements, the tests are solely diagnostic.)

Most Erasmus students are registered on courses at the host university but it is also possible to gather empirical data for your essay/thesis without being registered on courses.

You can go abroad more than once as an Erasmus student during your studies. You can get scholarships for studies and/or traineeship for a maximum amount of twelve months per study level, that is to say twelve months each on bachelor, master and doctorate level. You could for example get scholarships for two months of traineeship and ten months of exchange studies during your bachelor and still have the possibility to study abroad with a scholarship for a whole year during your master level.

If you are studying at Linköping University on a Swedish Institute scholarship, please note that the SI scholarship is only valid for studies in Sweden. Shorter study/research visits to, or internships in, other countries may be approved, provided that they form an integral part of the studies performed in Sweden. However, any study abroad must be motivated by the student and supported by the supervisor before approval from the Swedish Institute can be obtained.

You can apply for extra Erasmus+ Grant if...

...you chose to take the train to the study destination

Starting spring 2020, the International Office will introduce a new Travel Grant for Erasmus students who take the train to the study destination. The grant, of 190 EUR, can be used for single train ticket (s) or as part of an interrail pass. Train should be the main mean of travel in order to be eligible for the grant. Proof of travel and a short travel description will be required. Apply on your faculty's Exchange Portal, under uploading documents.

...you study with disabilities

Students with disabilities can apply for extra support for Erasmus studies abroad. Read more about studying abroad with disabilities here. For general information, please see disabilities at LiU.

...you travel with children

Erasmusstudents who will travel with children can make a separate application for a higher scholarship. 
Read more under Erasmus studies or Erasmus placement.

Contact Erasmus+ coordinator Ulrika Åstrand well before the start of your Erasmus exchange.


For general information about Erasmus+ check out the  app Erasmus+ app in your IPhone eller Android.
Erasmus+ App

Page manager: international.office@liu.se
Last updated: 2021-06-22